Bow tie pasta in a creamy sauce with pork sausage and lots of vegetables. Sure to be a family favorite.
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1 1b package smoked pork sausage (chopped into approx. 3/4 inch chunks)
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed oregano
• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 medium sweet onion, such as Walla Walla, Maui or Vidalia, roughly chopped
• 1 medium green pepper, roughly chopped
• 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
• 2 red ripe Roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
• 2 14 oz cans chicken broth
• 2 bay leaves
• 3 Tablespoon butter
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1-1 lb box farfalle/bow tie pasta
• Parmesan cheese
• 1- loaf crusty French baguette/ sliced 3/4 inches thick,buttered, pan grilled
In a large Dutch oven saute chopped sausage in olive oil. Add salt,pepper and rest of spices, except for bay leaves, and cook over medium/ high heat until brown, approx 6-8 minutes. Add onion, pepper and celery stirring well between additions. Saute until vegetables are fragrant and wilted. Add chopped tomatoes, bay leaves and chicken stock. Stir well then cover and bring to a boil (check seasoning, and re-season if needed.)Simmer on low heat for about 35-40 minutes, stirring frequently. In a large pot bring 6 quarts water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon salt.Stir in pasta and boil for about 9 minutes (pasta will be hard or al dente at this point-do not over cook.) Drain and rinse in cold water to stop cooking process, set aside. With sausage mixture, still simmering,add butter. Let it melt and slowly stir in heavy cream until well combined,Bring to a quick boil, cover and remove from heat. Add pasta, and mix well. Keep covered and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve in large bowl,sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and served with pan grilled French bread.
This Italian recipe is one of my family’s favorites. It’s simple and quick to make, but you do not have to be precise in your chopping so it can be made quickly. If you’re ever caught in a bind with unexpected company this dish will make you look like the most incredible chef!
Number of servings: 6